Do you have that one object that represents a memorable racing moment or experience as a participant or fan? It could be a program, picture, race gear, racecar part, ticket, poster, scrapbook, or any other number of objects that shine light into the world of motorsports.
We are opening up Open Archive Days just for YOU in October, Friday 14th-Sunday 16th. Your participation lets you showcase the stories that mean so much to you while strengthening our collective knowledge as makers and stewards of racing history. By taking part in Archives from the Streets, you are helping to preserve our collective stories and share the rich history of racing through the objects we keep.
Open Archive Days happen on the second Friday-Sunday of the month. We display objects from our museum collection not on exhibit giving museum visitors the rare opportunity to view and engage with items commonly not available.
How it works:
• Fill out and submit the participation form below by Monday October 10th including information about the object you want to include.
• Bring your object to the WOS Archive Room between 10am Friday October 7th and 11am Saturday 15th (excluding Mondays when we are closed). When possible, we encourage participants to deliver objects in time for the Open Archive Days first day, Friday 14th.
• All participants’ objects will be on display for the duration of Archives from the Streets Open Archive Days (Friday 14th-Sunday 16th) with a placard written by each participant (taken from form below) describing and/or sharing a short story behind the object.
• In preparation, WOS Archive will print placards for each object, prepare them for display, and photograph each object to be part of a commemorative online exhibit.
• During Archives from the Streets, museum visitors can look and learn from the objects on display that bring together the vibrant local culture and history of motorsports through your experience and knowledge.
• During the event, participants are encouraged to spend time in the Archive Room and share information about their participating objects to Archive Room visitors and other participants.
• Your object will stay safely in the WOS Archive Room with the same level of preservation and security as the museum collection during both public and closed hours while at the museum.
• You can take your object home with you at the end of Sunday 16th or pick it up the following week, Tuesday 18th through Sunday 23rd.
• WOS Archive will create an online exhibit including images of all participating objects and the stories around them to commemorate the unique visiting collection of Archives from the Streets.
For more information, including questions about delivery and returning of participating objects or how previous collection donors can participate by including their past donation, email firstname.lastname@example.org.